This bill is important. Please consider this before writing it off with the notion “When I am fully compensated for Agent Orange then I will entertain the idea of helping the Vietnamese.” I too once thought the same thing. I am a daughter of a Vietnam Veteran who had five bypasses on his heart at age 38. I myself was born with multiple birth defects. I am missing my right leg below the knee several of my fingers and my big toe on my left foot. My father died of a massive heart attack well before ischemic heart disease was added to the list of presumptive illnesses. Many children of American Vietnam veterans are suffering with unexplained birth defects and illnesses.
Currently, the U.S. Government recognizes only Spina bifida in the children of male Vietnam veterans. There are many other birth defects and illnesses no one is looking at in our demographic. 2.8 million male soldiers came back from war and started families. Many Veteran’s wives suffered miscarriages, many of us who were born are disabled with diseases and illnesses with no known family history. We are struggling.
The Vietnamese have been researching and striving to help their Agent Orange afflicted children for many years the best they can. Let me say also, these are children in Vietnam being born today with dioxin related birth defects. When I traveled to Vietnam the first time in 2010 I thought I would see a bunch of forty year olds like me with birth defects. No, I saw infants with cleft palates, missing limbs, digits, the like. Dioxin is still in the soil there. Agent Orange is still carrying on its destruction. Our U.S. doctors could learn much from their research.
This bill sets up centers and offers health care to the American Children of Vietnam Veterans. Through the Children of Vietnam Veterans Health Alliance we are discovering many of our Children of Vietnam Veterans are being turned away from their doctors being called crazy when they suggest their father’s exposure to Agent Orange is to blame. This has gone on long enough. We need help. Time is not on our side. We cannot wait till the “Perfect time” because like our fathers our time is running out. Agent Orange is a humanity problem not a this side or that problem. Please consider supporting this legislation.Sincerely, Heather A. Bowser
This legislation will provide:
1. Medical assistance for the children and grandchildren of American Veterans who served in Vietnam. Many of whom were born with devastating birth defects. Currently, many children of Vietnam Veterans are suffering from devastating illnesses that have no family histories.
2. Health Care for Vietnamese- Americans and their children affected by Agent Orange.
3. Extension of the National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study to include the study of long term health problems in veterans.
4. Health care and social services for exposed Vietnamese people who live in poverty with little to no health care.
5. Remediation of the 23 environmental hot spots still left in Vietnam. In these twenty three places, dioxin levels are still very high in the soil. High dioxin levels lead to a cycle of continued devastating birth defects and illnesses in the children and people of Vietnam.
All Legislation Endorsed and/or Opposed Has Been Approved and Reviewed by Kelly L. Derricks ’Children Of Vietnam Veterans Health Alliance’
Please view our POPVOX Legislative Agenda for all updated information
COVVHA also will be endorsing and opposing legislation that will be affecting our veterans and their families.
It has never been easier to write your State Representative and share your position on current legislation. Truth Teller has been making it even easier for her members, fans and followers!! The days of getting your pens and papers out to send your letters are over!!!
Each week COVVHA highlights a bill that has been endorsed and/or opposed after careful review.
An “action page” link, that she has set up for each specific bill, takes you directly to the specific legislation as well as an area for your Name, Zip Code, and YOUR VOTE!!
That’s it!!! You hit enter and your information is sent directly to your State Representative in letter form which you will receive a copy of via email.
Your VOICE does count, PLEASE, use it!!!
Kelly L. Derricks
Children Of Vietnam Veterans Health Alliance